Monday, June 6, 2011

When am I going to find a new laptop that suits me?

It's not that difficult really. All I want is:
  • A decent keyboard which doesn't require contortions to reach the delete, backslash or cursor keys.
  • A decent resolution screen (1600 x 1200 or 1920 x 1200) in something like a 14" or 15" form factor.
  • A screen which is actually designed for presenting infromation, not doubling up as a mirror or fingerprint & dust magnet.
  • Reasonably lightweight.
  • WiFi and Ethernet drivers that don't chew up the CPU.
  • Reasonably well-supported graphics drivers so that I don't end up finding that programs fall back to software rendering half the time, especially in web video.

I don't think that's too much too ask for, but with the current trend for shiny screens, dinky keyboards and netbook/tablet-style form factors I think I might have to go second-hand which is pretty sad. I think the truth is that my ideal laptop is out there and it's about 3 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment