Sunday, April 3, 2011

Meta M357 alarm removal

Well, that's it. I submitted a query to Meta via their web form last week and didn't get a response so I've removed the alarm from the bike. It was a lot easier than I though. Apart from the ignition and ground wires, everything else was just spliced onto existing wires, like the indicators, etc. All I had to do was to snip off everything and tape over the wire end and then rejoin the ground and ignition wires back at the wiring loom beside the battery - No big deal. Seems to me that anyone who was experienced in these matters could have the alarm stripped out of the bike and everything put back to the original state in less than an hour (taking into account the time needed to remove and refit the fairing and other bits.)

Works fine and I doubt I'll be using a Meta for the next alarm I get. Since the alarm obviously wasn't working I decided to take it apart and see how easy it might be to analyse. As it turns out the copper on the base of the circuit board was corroding and the piezo sounder had some bad corrosion on the negative connection. Seems to me like the potting compound they used had too much water content and ended up damaging the alarm. Poor design by the looks of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment